Tuesday 25 June 2013

'A New Chapter' - An Old Cliche?

So... it's over. 


Finally, after three years of studying my university degree comes to an end. So many of the friends I made at school have also finished this huge part of their life and my facebook news feed is just filled with sentimental statements such as 'it's time to start a new chapter in my story'. Bleugh!

I'm not a fan of this metaphor, as you can tell. I mean.... yes I have finished uni, yes I'm moving on from the town and house I've called home for the last 3 years, and yes I will be leaving behind a few friends I met during this experience.
 
But it's not a storybook - it's my life.

These things will always be with me, I intend to keep in touch with my uni mates, I have some pretty photos of the places I've visited and of the home I've had and they'll be with me where ever I go next. I don't  feel as though I'm closing any particular aspect of my life, if anything I'm just learning and growing from it.

Although, if I'm honest, seeing all my possessions packed away into carboard boxes does make me feel a little emotional.

 
In the midst of all this emotional turmoil and stress of packing/cleaning I have found a little time to craft (my craft stuff will be the last things I pack.) In fact, I discovered from the swapbot blog that the UK has a charity dedicated to making ill children happy. (How cute!) It's called Post Pals and the other night me and a friend stayed in and ate cake as we wrote to some children. Here are a couple of pictures of what we made:

Sophie loves princesses and the colour purple
For a fan of Liverpool FC. I made stickers using a stamp and some double sided tape
 
Hopefully finding these in the mail will make some kids smile. I know it makes me smile to get anything other than bills in the post! The joys of growing up.
 
I also tried my hand at making some friendship books or 'fbs'. Here are a couple of photos of the ones I've made. Traditionally they have paper stapled into them for people to sign and leave their address, but I don't have a stapler and chose to be different and sew it in. :)
 

 
I also made another ATC for somebody on swapbot, we arranged to trade Pokemon themed ATCs and out of the suggestions she gave I picked Marill. So here's what I created:
 

 

 

Here is a good opportunity to show my sewing skills - I previously made a Spheal (no doubt named so because he is a spherical seal) out of felt. Here's how he turned out:


 


 I have also tried needle felting, and I can tell you it is the most theraputic thing, second only to colouring in! Maybe next time I'll show you what I've made out of wool :) But for now, I think I'll leave it here. Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment