Wednesday 20 March 2013

Birdies

A growing collection

 
My Artist Trading Card collection so far consists of.... two cards. Well it's a start! I have a lot of card protectors in a folder, ready to be filled up, and I'm entering a few ATC swaps, so I'm hoping I will have some new ones to show you very soon.
 
So I have been making some ready to trade, and I have become hooked on the theme of birds.
 
 
 
I'm not really a bird fan to be honest. I like looking at them, and feeding them from a distance but my neighbour had a parrot that used to attack me so I tend to avoid bigger birds! But I found a book in a charity shop that I thought I could take home and use in my crafting. I have been cutting out the photos of different wildlife and the inspiration hasn't stopped! :)
 
I'm currently participating in a private ATC swap with a lady from Wales, she mentioned that she likes animals, but I checked her Swapbot profile and it turns out she's very interested in the local flora and fawna of the areas people live. So I've made her two ATCs of some birds I have seen in the countryside around Leicestershire, my birthplace.
Here they are!
 
 

Items used to make these:

300sm card background
Poster paints
Cut out bird photograph from magazine
Backing paper for photo
Embellishments (Brad, Gems, flower)
Copper coloured embossing powder
Heat embossing gun



 
 

To make these:

  •  I cut out pages from another charity shop book I bought, painted them and glued to cardstock.
  • Then, I stuck the bird photos onto the painting (although the owl has a spotty background because I thought it would look too dark if I stuck it straight on.)
  •  Then for my favourite bit! I heat embossed a stamped pattern around the edges. I used a copper coloured embossing powder and I think it really compliments the regal posture of the owl and the bright flashes of colour you get from watching kingfishers speed past.
  • Finally, I added a few gem embellishments and dah dah! Prettiful :) 



2 comments:

  1. Nice ATCs! I love owls, too. Like real looking ones, or, REAL owls, not just the cutesy owls that everyone seems to love to swap and collect these days. I also really like the embossing. I've never tried it before but it looks awesome...but I put it off because with each new technique it always involves buying a whole bunch of new gear! ha! Anyways, great blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!

    Embossing powders are quite expensive, I agree. I bought the heat gun for less than £20 and the glue pad and powder (I only bought a copper coloured one to start with) can't have been more than £10 between them. So it cost quite a lot even to just have a go with a heat gun - which is awesome by the way!

    ReplyDelete